- Who gets Box?
- What is Box?
- How do I get a Box account?
- How long do I keep my Box account?
- Is there a cost for Box accounts?
- How do I log in to Box?
- How can I access my Georgetown Box account if I'm also logged in to my personal Box account?
- Why are we using Box?
- How much storage space do I get?
- Any restrictions on what I can/should keep in Box?
- What is the Box storage limit?
- What types of files can I store in Box?
- I have files in Google Drive. Can I store them in Box?
- What if I don't want to share any of my files?
- Can I share files with people outside of Georgetown?
- How long will files stay in my trash?
- How does Sync manage conflicts?
- What goes into the Sync Recycle Bin?
- What is the difference between blue and orange Sync icons?
- What file types are ignored or blocked by Sync?
- Does Sync support file names that contain special characters?
- What Permissions are required using Sync?
- Can I use Sync as a bulk migration tool?
- I have an external hard drive. Can I use that to sync?
- Can I store sensitive data (e.g., HIPPA, FERPA) in Box?
- How safe are my files in Box?
- Are the files in my Box account backed up?
- What Browsers does Box officially support?
- Can I access Box over a wireless connection?
- Can I access Box on my mobile device?
- I already have a personal Box account; what will happen to that account?
- I'm a Georgetown Sponsored Associate (SUA); can I get a Box account?
- What apps are available to Georgetown Box Users?
Who gets Box?
All active Georgetown credit students, as well as the faculty and staff of the main campus and med center, qualify for Box accounts for as long as they maintain at least one of those affiliations with the university.
What is Box?
Box is a file sharing and storage service that enables you to securely store your documents “in the cloud” and to access those documents anywhere you can connect to the Internet. You can also share your documents with any of your classmates or colleagues.
How long do I keep my Box account?
You get to keep your Box account as long as you have at least one of the following active affiliations:
1) Credit student
3) Main campus or med center faculty
Please note, accounts are suspended for users without an active affiliation and deleted 30 days after suspension.
How do I log in to Box?
Just go to the Georgetown Box login page, Select the “Login to Box” graphic, and then enter your NetID and password on the secure "Sign In" page.
How can I log in to my Georgetown Box account if I'm already logged in to my personal Box personal account?
If you’re currently logged in to your personal Box account, first log out of that account and then log in to your Georgetown Box account.
Why are we using Box?
Box provides unlimited quotas, increased data security (with complete data encryption), and has an easy-to-use interface. You can also view, upload, and share documents from your mobile device.
Any restrictions on what I can/should keep in Box?
You can use box to store all of your data. For more information about data classifications please see the Security Office's data classification policy.
What is the Box storage limit?
Box provides unlimited storage for your Box account. However, there is a 15GB file upload limit; if you have files that you want to upload that are 15GB or higher, you'll want to upload them separately to ensure they upload successfully.
Yes, but you will first need to download those documents to your computer, and then upload them to Box.
You're not required to share any documents. You only need to share the documents on which you want others to collaborate with you.
How does Sync manage conflicts?
If two users both change a file concurrently, Box will first try to merge the changes if both are not edits (e.g., one user edits the file, another user renames the file). However, if both users edit the file, the first save will get uploaded, and the second file will be uploaded as a second version.
What goes into the Sync Recycle Bin?
When files are deleted by Sync, they are placed in the Trash on the Mac and in the Sync Recycle Bin on Windows. Regardless of how a file is deleted, it will be available from Georgetown Box’s trash available on the Box Web interface.
What is the difference between blue and orange Sync icons?
Files and folders have blue check mark icons that indicate successful
syncing (blue circle with white check on Mac). On Windows, if there
are no icons, you may be logged out of Box Sync. If there are orange
icons, the sync is in progress. If there are gray icons, there was an
error syncing that item.
What file types are ignored and blocked by Sync?
Click here for information on the types of files that are ignored or blocked in Box Sync.
Does Sync support file names that contain special characters?
Box does not support file names with certain special characters. Click here for a list of these special characters.
What Permissions are required using Sync?
Sync requires the "Editor" access type. Folders that only have "Viewer" permission cannot be synced. Mac files need to be set to both Read & Write privilege. Read-only files will not sync. Read-only files will occur when copying from a CD. Change them to Read & Write to allow them to sync.
Can I use Sync as a bulk migration tool
Sync is not optimized for migrating a large amount of data into Box. If you need to migrate from an existing file system with a lot of files, we recommend contacting the Service Center at 202-687-4949 or email@example.com with your specific concerns.
I have an external hard drive. Can I use that to sync?
We recommend only syncing to a local hard drive. Do not use sync with flash drives, external hard drives, network drives, or any external media. Although this will work in some cases, there are known issues, and we do not recommend this configuration.
How can I find out more information about using Box Sync?
Click here for more information on how to use Box Sync.
Can I view more Frequently Asked Questions about Box Sync?
Yes, just click here for additional FAQs on the Box Web site.
Are the documents in my Box account backed up?
Yes. All content stored in Box is kept in multiple data centers to ensure high-availability to your data. Please note, though, that if you delete an item from your account those files cannot be recovered once the trash has been emptied.
What Browsers does Box officially support?
Click here for a list of Box-supported browsers.
Can I use Box on my mobile device?
Absolutely! You can use Box on the iPhone, iPad, Android devices and Windows Phone. Click here for details on using Box on your mobile device.
What apps are available to Georgetown Box Users?
Apps connect your Georgetown Box data with external applications and services. To help keep your content safe and secure, we have enabled Georgetown Box core applications. We're currently constructing a list of apps requested by the community and will be holding a quarterly open forum to review and discuss. Upon request, application authorization will be taken into consideration for Georgetown Box.